Pumpkin Butter is a quick and easy recipe perfect for fall that takes only about 30 minutes to make. Learn how to make it using canned pumpkin puree. It’s perfect for topping toast, biscuits, muffins, scones and much more!
It’s fall and that means all things pumpkin! Of course, there’s your quintessential Pumpkin Pie, but there are so many more recipes out there that are delightful! For example, this easy pumpkin butter.
It only requires a handful of ingredients and about 30 minutes. After you are done making it smear it on a thick, hearty piece of English Muffin Bread. It makes the perfect breakfast or snack for an afternoon pick me up!
Give me that toast and a hot mug of coffee and all is right in the world! Another favorite pumpkin treat of mine with my coffee is this delicious Pumpkin Monkey Bread!
How to Make Pumpkin Butter
- The first step is to combine the ingredients in a dutch oven, stir to combine.
- Heat mixture over medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Cool and transfer to air tight container.
What is pumpkin butter made of?
It is made of a pumpkin puree in addition to apple juice and spices. Then it is simmered until it is reduced so it is thick and creamy.
Is can pumpkin butter safe?
It is not safe to can it. This is because of its low acidity. Due to the low acidity the growth of bacteria will not be suppressed when it is canned.
What is a substitute for pumpkin butter?
You can substitute butter for pumpkin butter with a 1:1 ratio. Simply add it instead of butter or vice versa. You could also do half of each!
Is pumpkin spice made from pumpkin?
No it is a blend of spices like cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg. It is typically used in pumpkin pie and other desserts.
- 1 can pumpkin puree 15 oz
- 1 c. apple juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¾ c. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large dutch oven or saucepan combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices and sugar. Stir well. Heat over medium heat and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Cool and transfer to airtight container in the refrigerator until serving.
- It is not safe to can this pumpkin butter due to the low acidity level.
- You can sub pumpkin butter for butter in any recipe with a 1:1 ratio.