One Pot Chicken Tetrazzini is a creamy and satisfying chicken casserole that is easy to make in 30 minutes or less! This cheesy, homemade chicken tetrazzini is the best!
What is Chicken Tetrazzini Made of?
Chicken Tetrazzini is a classic American dinner recipe that is made with diced chunks of chicken breasts, mushrooms, and pasta in a creamy parmesan sauce! Over time there have been many adaptations of this recipe and some people turn it into a baked casserole, add diced tomatoes, or top it with sliced almonds.
My version is very similar to the classic, but with a much easier to make sauce! The noodles cook with the chicken and mushrooms in one pan. The remaining starchy liquid from the spaghetti makes for the base of the creamy and cheesy tetrazzini sauce!
If you love this one-pot meal be sure to try my One Pot Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Rice and my One Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper!
How to Make One Pot Chicken Tetrazzini:
- The first thing to do is to heat a large soup pot, dutch oven, or deep skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once your oil is warm, you can add your cubed chicken, sliced mushrooms, diced onion, and seasonings to the pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the chicken is seared on all sides and the vegetables are soft you will turn your heat to medium-low and add in your chicken broth and spaghetti noodles. I find it easiest to break the spaghetti noodles in half first.
- Now, the chicken mixture will simmer for 10-12 minutes until the noodles are soft. You will want to stir the pasta around with tongs every couple of minutes to make sure the spaghetti is all submerged under the broth, and that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- After your spaghetti is cooked, remove your pan from the heat and turn the stove off. There will be some liquid left in the bottom of the pot, that is ok, that's what helps turn the cheese into a sauce!
- Add the cream cheese, parmesan, and parsley if using. Toss the pasta around with tongs until the cheese is melted.
- If desired, cover the tetrazzini and allow it to stand for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens up more, stir before serving.
One Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Chicken Breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 Ounces Sliced Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Large Onion Diced
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 8 Ounces Spaghetti Noodles Uncooked
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Parsley Optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the cubed chicken, mushrooms, and diced onion to the pot.
- Season with the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes until chicken is seared on all sides and vegetables are soft.
- Break the spaghetti noodles in half and add to the pot.
- Pour over the chicken broth and push down the noodles with a wooden spoon if necessary to make sure they are covered by liquid.
- Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-12 minutes until pasta is cooked through, stirring often to make sure the noodles don't stick.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Use tongs to toss the cream cheese, parmesan, and parsley together until cheese is melted.
Steve Bush says
Nice, easy dish. Kid said "that might be the best pasta we've made, and we make a lot!" I did find mine a little runny... I added more parm, and it still needed thickening. I added 1/4 cup of flour. That did the trick.
Judith Anderson says
Can I use already cooked frozen chicken breasts for this?
Yes, I think that would work! If they are already cooked, I'd thaw and then shred them. Then, just stir the shredded chicken in at the end so you don't risk over cooking it 🙂
Helen Carol Matthews says
Can I make this the day before? How should I reheat?
Yes, you can! You can reheat individual servings in the microwave, or on the stove over medium-low until it's warmed up.
Anna Hettick says
YES PLEASE!! This is a classic dinner in our home! Always so good! Your photos are gorgeous!!