Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies – These molasses cookies are an old fashioned holiday favorite! Super soft and packed with the amazing, rich flavors of molasses, ginger, and cinnamon. Just like Grandma used to make!
An oldie but a goodie, these cookies never go out of style in my house!
I can’t remember the first time that I ever had molasses cookies, but I was young, and even now the first bite sends me straight back to my childhood. Everyone loves these soft cookies so much, especially my mom, and it’s safe to say she is probably the first person to ever make these for me.
The smell of these cookies being baked is so incredible! All the amazing warm scents of cinnamon, ginger, and molasses wafting from the oven. They basically just smell like the holiday season to me. I want to cozy up by the fire with a big mug of hot tea and a tall stack of molasses cookies!
While I definitely still call these an “old fashioned style” cookie, there are a few changes that I have made to this recipe over the years to suit our preferences and ease of baking.
There aren’t a ton of tips for making these cookies because they are so very simple, but let’s talk about a few things I do to make them their very best!
- Use butter instead of shortening. The old version of this recipe uses shortening. I’m personally not a fan and much prefer the taste of butter, and I also think the cookies come out even softer this way.
- I omit ground cloves because the flavor always seems to overpower the cookies and it’s just my preference. If you love that clove flavor, feel free to add a pinch right in!
- Don’t let these overbake. These always take exactly 13 minutes in my oven. Since oven times vary I suggest checking them at 13 minutes in and then baking for another minute or two if necessary. They should look slightly wet when you take them out of the oven.
These molasses cookies come out perfect! Slightly crisp around the edges with a super soft, melt in your mouth, center! You’re going to love them!
Don’t forget to follow along with me on my Facebook Page! We are always sharing yummy food!
Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies - These molasses cookies are an old fashioned holiday favorite! Super soft and packed with the amazing, rich flavors of molasses, ginger, and cinnamon. Just like Grandma used to make!
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 1/4 Cup Molasses
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar, For Rolling
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or non stick cooking spray, set aside.
In a large bowl using a hand mixer, or in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together the brown sugar, butter, molasses, egg, and vanilla until well combined.
Mix in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
Shape the dough by rounded tablespoon fulls into 1 1/2 inch balls. Dip the cookies into the granulated sugar and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven for 13-15 minutes just until set. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool immediately.