Instant Pot Pot Roast makes having a tender and juicy roast so easy! Mashed potatoes, carrots, and a mouthwatering gravy are made in the very same pot!
Pot roast is such a classic meal alongside carrots and potatoes. I remember having roast almost every Sunday after church when I was growing up. Pretty sure I looked forward to it all week! We love the instant pot version because I can have a super melt in your mouth roast with tender carrots AND mashed potatoes with gravy in about 90 minutes. Don’t be intimidated by the length of time, this is simple to make, and most of the time is actually hands off. If you are new here and looking for some more Instant Pot Recipes be sure to try my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese and Instant Pot Beef Stew!
Instant Pot Pot Roast:
- You will want a 3 pound chuck roast for this recipe. Take your roast out of the package, place it on a large cutting board and season it very well.
- Heat your oil up in the instant pot while you season your beef. Sear the beef on all sides. This step is optional, however, you will have much better all around flavor if you sear your meat.
- Remove the roast to a plate. Pour about 1/4 cup of your beef broth into the bottom of the pot to deglaze. This step is important so that you don’t end up with the “burn” notice.
4. For best results use a wooden spoon to deglaze the pot. This step only takes a minute. You will notice how all those delicious and flavorful brown bits are no longer stuck to the pot.
5. Once you have deglazed. Add your roast back to the pot. Add the remaining broth then cover the Instant Pot and set the valve to seal. Now, cook on manual for 50 minutes.
6. When the timer goes off, do a quick pressure release. Add the sliced potatoes and baby carrots to the pot. Place the lid back on the pot and set the timer to manual for 5 minutes. This time, allow the pot to natural pressure release.
After you have naturally released the pressure. Remove the roast and the carrots (using a slotted spoon) to a plate, and cover with foil to keep warm. Use the slotted spoon to remove the potatoes to a large bowl and mash as directed below. Cover the potatoes to keep them warm. Turn the instant pot to saute and add your cornstarch and water mixture while whisking constantly until gravy thickens.
Instant Pot Pot Roast
FOR THE ROAST:
FOR THE GRAVY:
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
FOR THE ROAST:
- Remove the roast from its package and place on a cutting board. In a small bowl stir together the seasonings and sprinkle evenly over all sides of the roast.
- Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot on saute mode.
- When the oil is hot, add the roast and sear on all sides. Remove the roast to a plate.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the stock to the pot and use a wooden spoon to deglaze.
- Turn the instant pot off and return the roast to the pot.
- Pour the remaining stock over the roast. Place the lid on the pot and seal. Set to manual or meat on high setting.
- Cook for 45 minutes, then do a quick release.
- While the roast is cooking, wash and peel the potatoes, and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- After doing the quick release, add the carrots and potatoes to the instant pot. Pushing them down with a spoon into the liquid.
- Place the lid back on the pot and set to manual for 5 more minutes, then, do a natural pressure release.
- Once the pressure has released, open the lid and remove the roast to a large platter or plate. Remove the carrots with a slotted spoon to the same platter as the roast. Cover the roast and carrots with foil to stay warm.
FOR THE POTATOES:
- Using your slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add the milk, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper to the potatoes, and mash to desired consistency.
FOR THE GRAVY:
- Turn the instant pot to saute. Once the liquid is boiling, stir together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture until gravy has thickened.