Honey Mustard Cajun Chicken has the best simple and super flavor packed marinade! The easiest chicken recipe to make in one skillet!
Short and sweet new dinner recipe for you guys today! This time of year gets everyone a little crazy, and I think we can all use more dinners that don't require much thought at all...a lot like our Baked Chicken Thighs. This Cajun chicken is a no-brainer, a really flavorful marinade, one skillet, and perfectly juicy and tender chicken every time. This chicken is good served with a side of Bacon Parmesan Green Beans, sliced up on a green salad, with Mashed Potatoes, it pairs well with just about anything!
Notes for the Cajun Marinade:
- This chicken tastes great even if you marinate and cook it right away! But, you can also add the chicken to a bag with the marinade and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- As far as Cajun seasoning, I typically use either Tony Chachere (comes in a green canister) or Slap Ya Mama (yellow canister) just like with our Cajun Baked Salmon. You can't go wrong with either!
- Make sure that you slice your chicken (horizontally) so that the 3 large breasts are in 6 cutlets before marinating.
How Spicy is this Chicken?
How spicy this is really depends on your personal taste buds. I'm kind of a wimp with spice, and I don't find this too hot at all. I recommend whisking your marinade together and give it a little taste before adding the chicken. You may find that you want to actually add a little more Cajun seasoning, or even a few drops of hot sauce if you like it really spicy!
Chicken Thighs or Breasts?
This recipe works perfectly fine with thighs or breasts. Do note that if you use thighs they need to be boneless and skinless for this recipe to work out on the stove top. If you use skin on/bone in thighs, you will need to sear then transfer to the oven to bake. I will leave a note in the recipe card on how to do this. Also, keep in mind that if you can find chicken cutlets, those work too and then you won't have to slice up chicken breast for the recipe.
Honey Mustard Cajun Chicken
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 3 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Stone Ground Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
FOR THE PAN:
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Lay the chicken breasts out on a large cutting board.
- Cut each breast in half horizontally, so that you have 2 cutlets from each breast (6 total).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, both mustards, honey, Cajun seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and stir to coat well.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and sear each side for 5-7 minutes until golden.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and serve immediately. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.