An easy homemade recipe for condensed cream of mushroom soup! Skip the can and try this super tasty, better for you version!
Follow The Salty Marshmallow on Pinterest for more tasty food!
You guys! I need to pop in with a couple of last minute recipes before Thanksgiving.
This cream of mushroom soup is one, and my cheesy hash brown casserole is number two, you can find it HERE.
Let me start by saying, I have nothing against canned soups. I just like to make things homemade whenever humanly possible.
One of my favorite canned condensed soups to use is that yummy fiesta nacho cheese – no substituting there!
My main reason for substituting canned cream of mushroom is, well, because I can. It’s easy. It tastes more fresh. I know exactly what I put in it. Win/win.
I did use this soup in my cheesy hash brown casserole, then I handed some of to my parents and they simply poured it over chicken in the slow cooker for an easy dinner!
This cream if mushroom soup is condensed, meaning, you don’t want to just heat it and eat it out of the jar as it is.
It’s best used in cooking.
If you’d like to eat it as a big bowl of soup, you’ll just add 2 cups of milk when you heat it up.
This recipe can easily be doubled, or tripled, but isn’t best for freezing.
Keep it in the fridge for up to one week.
I hope you enjoy this in all of your soups, casseroles, and holiday dishes as much as we do!
- 1 Cup fresh mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 2/3 Cup milk
- 1 1/4 Cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the garlic and for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and chicken broth until smooth.
- Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and allow to cook for a few minutes before transferring to a jar to store in the refrigerator.
- Or, allow to cool slightly and use right away in your favorite dish.