Easy twice baked potatoes are creamy, cheesy and delicious! This is a classic recipe that the entire family will love.
Ashley from Spoonful of Flavor here to bring you this twice baked potato recipe. Baked potatoes are the perfect side dish. Twice baked potatoes are even better! They are creamy on the inside, crispy on the outside and stuffed with goodness. Serve them with Baked BBQ Chicken or Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin to create an entire meal. If you’re a potato lover like us, be sure to try these Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes too!
How to make twice baked potatoes
- First, you need to bake the potatoes in the oven for 50 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the bacon in a skillet on the stove.
- When the potatoes are done cooking, allow them to cool for 10 minutes and then cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the potato flesh and place in a large mixing bowl. Return the hollowed skins to the baking sheet and bake for 10 additional minutes.
- Next, make the potato filling by combining some cheese, sour cream, milk, butter, salt pepper, some bacon and green onions to the bowl with the cooked potato. Mash until blended and creamy.
- Spoon the potato filling into the baked skins. Sprinkle with cheese and broil in the oven.
- Before serving, sprinkle with cooked bacon and green onions.
How do you heat up twice baked potatoes?
To reheat twice baked potatoes, brush the tops with butter, wrap them with a damp paper towel and put them on a microwave-safe plate or dish. Microwave on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Unwrap, stir and check if they are heated through. If not, cook them for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute until reheated.
What sides go with baked potatoes?
We love serving these potatoes with one or two other sides like Roasted Green Beans or Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower. They taste great with other vegetables but feel free to serve them with any of your favorite sides.
While these potatoes are already packed with so much flavor, you can also add a dollop of sour cream or any of your other favorite potato toppings.
Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 large Russet potatoes scrubbed and dried
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for rubbing potatoes
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 cup diced thick-cut bacon divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk plus more as needed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 green onions sliced and divided
- Chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rub potatoes lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper to taste. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake potatoes in preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, fry diced bacon in a large skillet until evenly brown. Set aside on a paper towel to drain.
- When potatoes are done cooking, remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the potato flesh into a large mixing bowl. Return hollowed skins to the baking sheet and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add ½ cup cheese, sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, 1/2 each of the crumbled bacon and green onions to the bowl with the cooked potato. Mash or mix with a hand mixer until well blended and creamy, adding more milk, butter, and seasoning to taste.
- Remove skins from oven and turn oven to High Broil. Divide the potato mixture evenly between the skins, creating a mound in the middle. Divide remaining cheese between each potato half, then broil for 5 to 8 minutes until cheese is melted and crispy. Garnish with remaining bacon and green onions, or chopped chives.