Easy Squash Patties are one of our favorite recipes for using yellow squash! These patties are cheesy, flavorful and have a tasty dipping sauce!
To say that I'm obsessed with these squash patties would be putting it lightly. I live for squash in the summer, and these patties are satisfying every single craving! I'm in love with the crispy outside, especially the edges, the tender center with some cheesy garlic flavor. Drool worthy! I kind of had my Zucchini Pizza Bites in mind when I came up with these, same concept, but they are actually faster to make! We're gobbling these up, they've been perfect for lunch and are incredible dipped in the sauce that only takes about 2 minutes to prepare!
How to Make Squash Patties:
- For this recipe you will need 3 cups total of grated yellow squash. This was about 3 small or 2 large for me. The most important step is to grate the squash with a box grater, then you need to salt the squash and allow it to sit to release the moisture.
- MOST IMPORTANT: these will not turn out if you don't follow this step. Add your grated squash to a colander over a bowl. Salt the squash and give it a little toss. Now, let it sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes is up you need to squeeze out the excess water. This is really a quick and easy step! You can plop your squash into a cheesecloth if you have one and ring it out over the sink. Otherwise, you can squeeze it out in handfuls (this is what I do) over your sink, then place in a dry bowl.
- Then, add your remaining ingredients to the bowl with the drained squash.
- Mix everything very well to combine. You can use a spoon or your hands, I find it easier to just use my hands!
Tips for Making Squash Patties:
- When you're wringing out your squash over the sink, give it at least 3-4 good squeezes per handful. You'll be surprised how much water comes out!
- Keep this recipe easy! While the grated squash is sitting for 10 minutes, go ahead and saute your green onions and garlic. Beat up your eggs for the patties, and whip up your dressing so that it's ready to go!
- Don't skip the step of sautéing the green onions and garlic together! It only takes 2-3 minutes, and adds such a great mild flavor that doesn't overpower the squash.
Easy Squash Patties
- 3 Cups Shredded Yellow Squash
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Large Eggs Beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil Divided
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- ¼ Cup Green Onion Sliced
- ½ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- ⅓ Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Slice both ends off of the squash. Grate the squash using a box grater, then place in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt.
- Allow the squash to sit for 10 minutes, then, squeeze the grated squash thoroughly over the sink in handfuls, and place in a dry bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic, and green onion, cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- To the squash (grated and squeezed dradd the beaten egg, garlic and green onion mixture, both cheeses, panko, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the same skillet you used for the garlic and onion over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the squash mixture to the pan in Tablespoonfuls, using a spatula to flatten them out.
- Cook each fritter for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Chill until ready to serve.