Creamy Crab Soup is so simple to make, soul warming, and comes together in 30 minutes! Our favorite crab recipe to make on the stove top or instant pot!
This super simple crab soup is the perfect cold weather dinner for seafood lovers! It's so comforting and because it's a one pot meal, it's a great for a busy weeknight. Ever since I first made this soup I find myself craving it all the time! The creamy broth is so silky and smooth and I love the soft potatoes, sweet corn, and the tender crab meat! I knew I wanted a simple but warming recipe to share with you all this week. My crab soup is almost like a chowder really. It uses real lump crab meat too, not the fake stuff, so it's very decadent! This time of year is busy, and this is going to become a go-to when you want some easy comfort food! If you're obsessed with crab like me, try out our Crab Dip too! It can be made hot or cold, however you like it. If you're looking for another cozy soup, try our Broccoli Cheddar Soup, it's also instant pot or stove top friendly!
Crab Soup Recipe Notes:
- If possible, you are going to want to use Fish or Seafood Stock/Broth for this recipe. Chicken or vegetable broth will work in a pinch, but the seafood stock will give you the very best flavor! The brand I used is called Kitchen Basics and it is usually easy to find at any grocery store with the other broth.
- Don't use imitation crab meat in this recipe! You need to use fresh lump crab meat here. It's really easy to find either in pouches or clear plastic jars. You will find it located in the meat/seafood department chilled on ice.
- You can use canned, fresh, or frozen corn in this recipe. One can works great, or about two cups of either the frozen or fresh (cut off the cob).
- I used yellow baby potatoes, but red are fine too. If you only have large potatoes, just make sure to cut them small into about 1 inch pieces at the most. You'll want around 3 cups of potato cubes total.
- I know it might seem strange to add a squeeze of lemon, but seafood loves lemon! Don't skip it if you don't have to, it adds so much great flavor! Don't be tempted to use bottled lemon either, use fresh squeezed.
Creamy Crab Soup
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 5 Green Onions White and Green Parts Sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 6 Cups Seafood Stock or Chicken Stock
- 1 Pound Baby Potatoes Quartered
- 2 Cups Corn Kernels
- ½ Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½-1 teaspoon Hot Sauce Optional
- 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
- 16 Ounces Fresh Lump Crabmeat
STOVE TOP VERSION:
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the white parts of the green onions and the garlic to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes until onion is soft.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook stirring constantly for one minute.
- Gradually stir in the fish stock.
- Stir in the potatoes, corn, Cajun seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add in the hot sauce if using, and the heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Stir in the lemon juice if using, then stir in the crab.
INSTANT POT VERSION:
- Turn the instant pot on to saute mode.
- Add the butter, the whites of the green onions and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook stirring constantly for one minute.
- Gradually whisk in the fish stock until smooth.
- Turn the pot off and stir in the potatoes, corn, cajun seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on the pot and set the valve to sealing position. Cook on soup or manual mode for 6 minutes.
- Allow the pot to come to pressure naturally for 3 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid from the pot and turn the pot off.
- Stir in the hot sauce, cream, lemon juice and crab to combine.
- Serve immediately topped with the remaining green onions as desired.