BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs are made with a simple homemade bbq rub and basted in your favorite barbecue sauce! One of our favorite chicken thigh recipes they are so easy to make!
BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs:
You guys, being the very best, most amazing readers that you are have told me time and time again how much you love chicken thighs! Well, we do too! You have made my Crispy Baked Chicken Thigh Recipes so very popular and it makes this blogger happy that you love them so much! We also really like BBQ around here so it was definitely time for a bbq chicken thigh. These are made with a super simple homemade rub, the same one that I put on my Crockpot Pulled Pork, because we just can't get enough of a good thing. As far as BBQ sauce, you can use your favorite, if you want a suggestion from me, I'm a huge fan of Sweet Baby Ray's!
How to Make BBQ Chicken Thighs:
- Start by grabbing your spices and mix them all together in a small bowl. I do recommend following my measurements for the spices, this is one recipe where I measure instead of just "eye-balling" it, it makes a difference!
- As you can see the mixture has a few lumps, and that is ok! You just want them combined as best as you can, you don't have to spend a long time on this at all.
- Next, place your chicken thighs on a large baking sheet that you've lined with foil. Pat the chicken thighs dry on both sides. Drizzle both sides of chicken with olive oil and sprinkle the spice mixture on.
- Rub the spice mixture into the chicken well! Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, then, baste with bbq sauce and broil for 3 minutes. Keep in mind that chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees before being consumed.
What To Serve With Chicken Thighs?
On super busy nights I sometimes just throw together a big salad to serve with these. I do a combo of mixed greens and a random mixture of veggies that we have hanging out in the fridge! These are also really good served with these Bacon Green Beans and Cream cheese Mashed Potatoes! Whatever you decide to serve these with, I hope they become a great back pocket weeknight fave!
BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs
- 3 Pounds Bone in Skin On Chicken Thighs, About 6-8
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Cup Barbecue Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels and place on prepared baking sheet and drizzle evenly on both sides with olive oil.
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, paprika, pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over both sides of the chicken and rub the spices in to coat well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and baste evenly with the bbq sauce. Place under the broiler in your oven for 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Tanya Shrout says
Absolutely the best barbeque chicken I have ever made!!!!! I used the bone-in chicken thighs & they were delicious. I don't think I will ever use another recipe for barbeque chicken thighs! Thanks for sharing, Nicole!
We absolutely LOVE these. However, we choose to use boneless thighs instead of bone-in. We like to use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, but the spice rub really is the star, here.
I enjoyed the BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs. Would like to know the nutritional facts as I am watching my caloric intake carefully!
Best baked BBQ chicken EVER! I had my siblings & wives over for a total of nine. I had prepared the chicken the day before along with the salads t make life easy. I used boneless, skinless thighs and it turned out amazing. The only change I made was to use smoked paprika. It is now my favorite recipe. I give it a 10 out of 10 for ease, flavor and looks! Thank you so much for this recipe. O a side note my brother texted that he was on his way to the store to pick up some chicken thighs! Lol!!
I’m making this again for grandsons pre graduation dinner tonight. Thanks again for this wonderful recipe!
Awesome!! This is my go to recipes for chicken thighs. I usually use the boneless thighs.
Mom of 6 says
I’ve made this at least 6 times in the past 9 months. It’s the best! I usually use Boneless thighs!
Bill Albritton says
Question" skin side up or down before broiling?
Stephanie Mroz says
These came out delicious! I used boneless skinless thighs and it was possibly the best chicken thigh recipe I've ever made. Definitely going into our rotation. Thanks!!
Susan Miriam Cham says
I made this last night and it was absolutely PERFECT!!!! THANK YOU! I was amazed at how juicy and flavorful the rub made the chicken and the next day it was delicious cold and cut into a salad. Easy to make, easy to clean up, quick, delicious . . . checks all the boxes! My 17 y.o. son is a budding Foodie and is excited to prepare this for our family next week.
This is my go to recipe for thighs. I use skinless, bone in thighs (I remove skin) and they are delicious!
So good!!! Thanks!
This recipe was so good! Like other commenters mentioned, the rub makes all the difference! My family loved it. The only thing I wished was that the skin came out crispy. My chicken skin wasn’t really crispy. What adjustment would I need to make on the instructions for a crispier skin next time?
This is really a good recipe. The chicken had excellent flavour just enough spice and it was super tender and juicy. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
This is a delicious recipe. The chicken was very moist and the rub gave it just enough spice.
You made my day! I made this recipe tonight and my guy (who is an awesome cook) said this was the best chicken he ever had! He said it melted in his mouth. I Had to agree. This is a winner! I believe it’s how it’s prepped with the oil and the seasoning. It made the chicken so moist and with a wonderful flavor! Thank you, thank you!
Carrie Dalton says
I made this for the first time in March and it has become a regular in our rotation. I make it once or twice a month and everyone loves it. It has become my daughter’s favorite meal - and she is not a big meat eater so that’s a huge win! I like to make a huge batch. I shred the leftover chicken and we reheat it later in the week and serve on hamburger buns as BBQ Chicken Sandwiches - super quick for a busy night!
This is delicious!! I've made this twice now and each time I've been amazed at the flavor from the rub and juicy consistency of the meat! I just made this with boneless/skinless chicken thighs and it still came out great. Just had to adjust the cooking time but this is my new go-to baked BBQ chicken recipe!
Marlitt Arnouville says
Just made this and it came out great, I used boneless chicken thighs and backed it for 40 minutes, Hubby loved it and is not a fan of dark meat!
Love the rub! We used boneless skinless thighs and a store bought BBQ sauce, but the rub made it! Delicious and easy to make. This one is my new favorite!
Rebecca Hudak says
How long did u cook the boneless chicken for?