A deliciously full-flavored chicken & rice dish made right on your stove top, in one pot! A family friendly winner!
Hey! This is Kylee from Kylee Cooks – I’m back sharing a comfort food classic, with a nod to Latin American and Spanish roots.
One-pot dishes are my jam, I absolutely love that I can bring a full-flavored dinner to the table, without destroying my kitchen! This chicken and rice dish is super easy, especially if you prep the ingredients ahead.
Arroz con Pollo is a VERY versatile dish, that can be adjusted to whatever you like, and have on hand. No wine? No problem! Use beer or some extra chicken stock. Only have red bell peppers? Sure! No worries!
You’ll need a large skillet with a lid or a dutch oven for this recipe, but no special equipment is needed otherwise. I hope you love it as much as my family does!
WHAT IS ARROZ CON POLLO?
Arroz con Pollo is a Chicken & Rice dish that originated in Spain & Puerto Rico. It is a classic meal made in one pot, that is closely related to Paella.
HOW TO MAKE ARROZ CON POLLO
- COOK THE CHICKEN – Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook (in batches if necessary) in olive oil over medium-high heat, turning to brown each side. We’re not fully cooking it right now, just browning, so don’t worry that it is still pink. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- COOK THE VEGETABLES – saute the red pepper, green pepper, and onion until soft, then add the garlic, cumin and oregano.
- COOK THE RICE – Add the rice, and allow the oil/butter to coat each grain, then deglaze with white wine (sub chicken stock if you don’t want to use wine).
- ADD the bay leaves, the stock, paprika, and saffron and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil.
- RETURN THE CHICKEN TO THE POT, resting it gently on top, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. The rice will have absorbed the liquid, and
THE BEST RICE TO USE FOR ARROZ CON POLLO
Traditionally, Calasparra rice is used, but as that is difficult to find – I use both arborio rice (that I use in risotto), and regular long-grain rice interchangeably with no issues. Using arborio rice will get you a creamier texture, but you will have to stir it more often!
WAYS TO MIX IT UP
- Add a can of fire-roasted tomatoes when you add the stock, you’ll get a deliciously smoky flavor, with the added flavor of the tomatoes.
- Adding some chorizo, or smoked sausage is another great way to add extra flavor and protein to this classic dish, without deviating too far from the original!
Arroz con Pollo
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1.75 cups rice
- 1/2 cup wine
- 3 cups chicken broth use extra stock if you prefer
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup peas if frozen, no need to thaw
- 1 cup roasted red peppers sliced
- Heat a dutch oven with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add as much chicken as will fit in the pan without crowding – cook until the chicken it is golden brown on the bottom, 3-4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook until the other side is browned, 3-4 minutes longer; the chicken will still be pink inside.
- Transfer the chicken to a large plate. Repeat until all of the chicken is browned.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbs of oil, and melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell peppers and cook until the vegetables start to become tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, oregano and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir well to allow the oil to coat each grain, then add the wine (if usinand allow to deglaze.
- Add the bay leaves, stock, smoked paprika and saffron. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken to top of rice and juices. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked, rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed (25-30mins)
- Sprinkle the frozen peas over the top and red peppers.
- Cover and cook until heated through.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.