20 Minute Firecracker Chicken is tangy, spicy, and completely mouthwatering! Make firecracker chicken at home, it’s fast and easy, and way better than takeout!
Firecracker chicken is an unbelievably good “kick in the mouth” in a good way! It’s definitely an American/Chinese restaurant staple that you can and should make at home. The sauce is somewhat spicy, with a sweet, savory, and tangy kick! My version uses buffalo sauce, honey, and lime for some amazing flavor! This dish comes together really quickly and makes a fun dinner or can be a great meal prep option too. My firecracker chicken can be made ahead and stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I personally like to eat it with just broccoli, but feel free to serve with rice or this amazing Cauliflower Fried Rice to soak up that tasty sauce!
How to Make Firecracker Chicken:
- Start by heating your olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- While the oil is heating, cut your chicken breasts into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add the chicken to the pan, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally until it is seared on all sides. About 5-7 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking whisk together all of your sauce ingredients: Buffalo sauce, honey, lime juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, cornstarch, and water.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 3-5 minutes until sauce is thick.
20 Minute Firecracker Chicken
- 1.5 Pounds Chicken Breast
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup Hot Sauce or Buffalo Sauce**
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- Juice of 1 Large Lime, About 2 Tablespoons
- 1/8 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Cold Water
- Place the chicken breasts on a large cutting board and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until golden on all sides.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the hot sauce, garlic, honey, lime juice, red pepper flakes, cornstarch, and water in a small bowl.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, pour the sauce over the chicken and simmer for 3-4 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately with cooked rice.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.