Summer Fruit Crisp is an easy homemade dessert using any of your favorite fruits! The sweet oatmeal cookie pretzel topping makes this crisp truly unforgettable!
Summer Fruit Crisp:
We cannot get enough of this summery dessert! You can customize this one so easily using any type of fruits that you have on hand and it will turn out perfect! I have done a Cherry Crisp and a Strawberry Crisp on the blog already. But, my goal was to create a new crisp recipe where anything goes, and people can make it their own! The topping is possibly my favorite part of this dessert! It's the simple oat/brown sugar topping that we are used to, just kicked up a notch with pretzels! The pretzels add just a slight touch of salt that's really good to cut through all the sweetness. It also adds another nice layer of texture and it's just irresistible! This is honestly a really fast and easy dessert too. It takes about 40-45 minutes in the oven, but it won't take you more than 15 minutes to toss it all together.
Fruit Crisp Recipe Notes and Tips:
- I decided to make this in my cast iron, and you can do that too or use any 9x9 or 8 inch dish. It doesn't matter if your dish is square or round either! If using a cast iron make sure it's at least a 10 inch so your dessert doesn't bubble over.
- You will need 6 cups sliced fruit total for this recipe. I used a combination of peaches, strawberries, and cherries and it's amazing! If using peaches/plums/nectarines you do not need to peel them, just pit and slice. I used fresh cherries and just pitted them, no need to worry about slicing them up. Same goes if you want to use something like raspberries or blueberries, no need to slice or cut them up!
- The lemon in this crisp is optional, but it does add a nice flavor! If using lemon, make sure to use fresh, not the bottled juice. Or, you can just leave it out if you don't like it.
- You can use frozen berries/fruits in this recipe too. Just thaw them out at least a little first. You don't want them to be rock hard from the freezer or they won't cook up correctly.
Summer Fruit Crisp
FOR THE FILLING
- 6 Cups Fresh Fruit: Sliced Peaches/Plums/Nectarines Sliced Strawberries, Pitted Cherries, Whole Raspberries or Blueberries.
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ⅓ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 ½ Cups Crushed Pretzels
- ⅓ Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- ⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Butter Melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 inch dish or 10-12 inch cast iron skillet and set aside.
- To a large bowl add the fruit, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and flour and stir until well combined.
- Pour the fruit into the prepared baking dish.
- In a second large bowl mix all of the topping ingredients together using a fork until mixture is crumbly.
- Evenly sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve with ice cream if desired.