Slow Cooker Homemade Tomato Sauce is so easy to make! Featuring fresh tomatoes, red wine, yellow onions, and a beautiful bouquet of fresh herbs! It’s an aromatic, flavorful, robust sauce that makes everything it touches so delicious.
Homemade Tomato Sauce
Stop buying store bought tomato sauce and make it at home! It so quick and easy and has amazing flavor! This simple Slow Cooker Homemade Tomato Sauce features all of the ingredients you’re craving in a sauce! Fresh basil and oregano create a delightful herbaceous element that perfectly compliments the garlic, red wine, onions, and of course - tomatoes! Everything slowly cooks to perfection over a few hours and it’s truly delicious how the tomatoes meld with all of the bold ingredients.
Craving more easy-peasy Italian inspired recipes?! You’ll love Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna Rollups!
How should I serve Homemade Tomato Sauce?
The list of ways to serve this robust sauce is pretty never ending. One of my favorite methods is to serve it the most classic way, right over a plate of tender spaghetti noodles! It’s also tasty when you ladle it over chicken parmesan, layered in a lasagna, or used as a dip for mozzarella sticks. When it comes to good tomato sauce, it’s hard to find a bad way of serving it!
How to Make Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce:
1. Stir it all together. Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker then stir to combine.
2. Blend it. Use an immersion blender to roughly blend until there aren’t too many large pieces. Or add all the ingredients to your blender and pulse a couple of times until it reaches a chunky consistency then pour it back into the slow cooker.
3. Cook. Cover with the lid then cook on low for at least 8 hours or overnight or on high for 4 hours or up to 8 hours.
4. Salt and blend again. Add more salt to taste then use your blender or immersion blender to blend until it reaches your preferred consistency.
Enjoy! Serve over cooked spaghetti.
Storing Crockpot Tomato Sauce
In an airtight container in the fridge, this Homemade Tomato Sauce will stay fresh for about 4 days. The best part is that it actually reheats pretty well in the microwave! Make sure that it’s totally cooled to room temp prior to storing to prevent any condensation from forming inside the container.
Ingredients Notes for Slow Cooker Homemade Tomato Sauce
Herbs - Fresh is best for this recipe if you can! The fresh basil and oregano add an aromatic quality to this sauce that can’t be replicated with dried herbs.
Garlic - This is another ingredient that I find is best if it can be fresh. The pre-minced garlic that comes in a jar is super handy and can be used, but in a homemade tomato sauce, fresh garlic will taste best.
Red Wine - Try to use a dry red wine like a Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. If you use a sweet red wine, like a Shiraz, your sauce will turn out quite sweet.
Slow Cooker Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 6 Pounds Tomatoes roughly chopped
- ½ Yellow Onion roughly chopped
- ½ Cup Red Wine
- ½ Cup Fresh Basil packed
- 3 Cloves Garlic finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Oregano minced
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker then stir to combine.
- Use an immersion blender to roughly blend until there aren’t too many large pieces. Or add all the ingredients to your blender and pulse a couple of times until it reaches a chunky consistency then pour it back into the slow cooker.
- Cover with the lid then cook on low for at least 8 hours or overnight or on high for 4 hours or up to 8 hours.
- Add more salt to taste then use your blender or immersion blender to blend until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Leave a Reply