Scotcharoos are a decadent no-bake dessert that combines rice krispies cereal with corn syrup and peanut butter topped with a melted chocolate and butterscotch combination. Only 15 minutes to whip up, the hardest part is waiting for the chocolate to set before you can get your hands on this sweet treat!
What Are Scotcharoos made of?
If you want any easy no bake treat, this is the dessert for you! Corn syrup, sugar, and peanut butter take the place of marshmallows to get these airy rice krispies to stick together. Topped with melted chocolate and butterscotch chips, these dessert bars are indulgent and addictive. I love the flavor combination of the chocolate, peanut butter, and butterscotch all rolled into one. Adults and kids alike will be clamoring for seconds when it comes to this easy and delicious dessert. I love making an easy sweet Fruit Salad all summer, but sometimes I just need some real dessert and this is a fave!
- Peanut butter, chocolate, butterscotch. Does it get any better than that?
- Corn Syrup: This adds sweetness and takes the place of the marshmallows in traditional rice crispy treats to get everything to stick together.
- Sugar: White granulated.
- Chunky Peanut Butter: You can use creamy peanut butter if you prefer but I enjoy the added crunch and texture of the chunky peanut butter.
- Salt: Just a pinch.
- Rice Krispies Cereal: I use the classic flavor but you could try the chocolate variety if you want to double down on the cocoa flavor.
- Bittersweet Chocolate Chips: You could also use semi sweet or milk chocolate chips instead.
- Butterscotch Baking Chips: I just love the flavor the butterscotch adds to this dessert!
How to Make Scotcharoos
- Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large pot over medium heat, add the corn syrup and sugar. Stir constantly and remove the pan from heat as soon as the mixture begins to bubble.
- Stir in the chunky peanut butter and salt. Stir until fully melted. Add in the rice krispies and stir to coat.
- Press the mixture into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl add the bittersweet chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until the chips are fully melted.
Spread the melted chocolate butterscotch mixture over the top of the rice krispies. Let the chocolate cool completely and allow the dessert to set, about 2-3 hours. Slice into bars, serve, and enjoy!
Scotcharoos Recipe Notes and Tips
- Swap the bittersweet chocolate chips for milk or even white chocolate.
- Don’t skip on lining your dish with parchment paper. This makes it so much easier to serve the bars once they’re set. Even with their gooey filling, they won’t stick to the paper, keeping them intact when you pull them out.
- When mixing the corn syrup mixture with the rice krispies, work fast! It starts to set almost immediately.
- To get a really smooth chocolate coating on top, add a bit of coconut oil when melting the chips. It makes the chocolate and butterscotch extra smooth when spreading.
- For soft Scotcharoos don’t let your sugar and corn syrup get to a boil. It creates a tougher concoction and your bars will end up chewier as opposed to softer in texture.
- These bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Perfect for making ahead!
- 1 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 ¾ Cup Chunky Peanut Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 2 Cups Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Butterscotch Baking Chips
- Prepare a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside for later.
- Add the corn syrup and sugar to a large pot over medium heat and stir constantly until it starts to bubble then remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the peanut butter and salt until fully melted then stir in the rice krispies.
- Carefully press the mixture into the prepared pan and set aside for later.
- Add both of the bittersweet and butterscotch chips together in a microwave safe bowl then microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each time until fully melted.
- Spread the chocolate over top of the rice krispies mixture then let it cool completely for 2-3 hours then slice and serve.