An easy and comforting dinner - twice baked potatoes come together with shredded salsa verde chicken that has been cooked to perfection in your slow cooker all day. These potatoes are a slightly spicy, gooey cheese filled, miracle.
Remember to come and find me over on Pinterest!
Ok, I have to tell you guys that I strayed away from making any kid of twice baked potato for a LONG time. I thought it was hard/too much work/why not just have mashed potatoes instead.
I have come to my senses in the last several years and realized that there is nothing more comforting than a homemade twice baked potato.
There is also not much that's just this plain easy!
This recipe is made even simpler because our chicken filling has minimal ingredients, and is cooked in the crock pot all day long while you go about your business.
If you have never made twice baked potatoes, let me break down the process for you (printable recipe is below if you are already good to go with these steps)
- Wash your potatoes and pierce them all over with a fork
- Put them in the oven and let them bake for about 30 minutes
- Take them out of the oven and rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Back into the oven for about 30-45 minutes
- Out of the oven, slice them in half lengthwise and use a big spoon to scoop the flesh out into a bowl.
- Lay the skins back on the baking sheet you were already using.
- Smash the potato flesh with butter, stir in the chicken and cheese, and spoon the mixture back into the skins.
- Top with more cheese if you wish (more cheese....always more cheese) and bake them for about 10 more minutes until your cheese is melted.
It may seem like several steps, but I promise it's simple. Most of the work is taken out of this by pre-cooking your chicken. The rest of the work is mostly done by your oven getting the potatoes nice and tender.
These potatoes are quickly becoming a weekly regular at our house! Even my son who thinks "green salsa is weird" is in love with these!
If you don't want to use your crock pot for your chicken I'd suggest shredding up a rotisserie chicken and mixing with the salsa verde to keep this recipe an easy weeknight winner.
P.S. These would also be a fabulous way to use up all of that leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
- 1 Pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 16 ounce Jar salsa verde I like to use Herdez brand
- 6 Large baking potatoes
- 2-3 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Toppings : green onion sour cream, black beans, sliced olives, tomato., optional
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker
- Pour salsa verde over chicken
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork, place on baking sheet, and cook in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Return to oven and continue cooking for 30-45 minutes, until tender.
- When potatoes come out of the oven, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred.
- Cut potatoes in half horizontally, and scoop the potato flesh out into a large bowl, being careful to preserve the skins.
- Mash the potato with a fork, adding salt and pepper as desired.
- Add the shredded chicken and half of the cheese to the potato and mix to combine.
- Scoop the potato mixture back into the empty skins, and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until filling is hot and cheese is melted.
- ***COOK TIME IS THE TIME THAT THE CHICKEN IS IN THE SLOW COOKER