Perfect Reuben Sandwich is the absolute best, so tasty, and easy to make! This sandwich is packed full of corned beef, swiss, and a simple homemade dressing!
Oh, Reuben sandwich…I love you. Seriously, this is always my go-to order whenever we go out for lunch and it’s on the menu! I love making them at home for a quick dinner and I crave them on the regular. I know some of you probably have corned beef still sitting in your fridge leftover from St. Patrick’s Day, so now was as good a time as any to show you how to use it up!
If you’ve never had a Reuben but have been curious to try one let me tell you all about it. You start with rye bread, I like swirled but any will do. Layers of corned beef that can be purchased at your deli, or leftover corned beef if you have it. Then lots of melty swiss cheese and tangy sauerkraut! For my version, we have a super easy, less than 5 minutes to stir together, homemade dressing. Typically a reuben comes with a type of Russian Dressing or Thousand Island. Mine is similar, and you can use it or store bought if you prefer.
How to Make a Reuben Sandwich:
- Start by preheating a griddle or a large skillet over medium heat.
- Butter four slices of bread and then flip them over so the buttered side is down.
- Spread some of the sauce onto each slice of bread. You’ll want about 1 Tablespoon or so per slice.
- Next, add a slice of cheese, a few slices of corned beef, a good helping of sauerkraut, a few more slices of beef, and one more slice of cheese.
- Place the slices of bread without toppings onto the other side of the bread, buttered side up.
- Cook them on the griddle, turning once for about 5 minutes per side until your cheese is melted.
Perfect Reuben Sandwich
FOR THE SANDWICH:
- 1 Tablespoon Butter Softened
- 4 Slices RyeSandwich Bread
- 4 Slices Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 Pound Corned Beef
- 8 Ounce Can Sauerkraut, Drained
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet Pickle Relish
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Minced Onion
- 1/2 Teaspoon Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- Heat a griddle pan or a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a small bowl stir together the dressing ingredients until mixed and set aside.
- Place the slices of bread in a single layer on a cutting board and butter one side of each pieces.
- Flip the bread over so that the butter is facing down.
- Spread about 1 Tablespoon of the sauce onto each slice of bread.
- Layer two slices of the bread with a slice of Swiss cheese, some of the corned beef (about 1/4 of it), half of the sauerkraut, the remaining beef, and another slice of cheese.
- Place the two buttered slices of bread, butter facing up, on top of the sandwiches.
- Carefully place the sandwiches on the griddle or skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes per side until toasted and cheese is melted.