Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches are a takeout favorite made at home! Buttery toasted buns are baked with layers of ham and gooey cheese for a fun and easy weeknight dinner!
We don't eat takeout too often around here because we love to cook so much. But, when we do one of my absolute favorites is a hot ham and cheese sandwich! I will take it over a burger any day of the week.
I enjoy making these sandwiches at home even more because I can choose the quality of ham that I get, the kind of cheese everyone likes, toast the buns to perfection, and add a creamy dijonnaise sauce!
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches:
These sandwiches are so easy to make it's one of those that I almost feel silly calling a "recipe" but I hope you all love them as much as my family does, and I'll tell you how I like to perfect them at my house!
- You can use thick or thin ham, whichever you like. I always get the super thin sliced ham straight from my deli. Then, I layer a few pieces of ham, then a piece of cheese. I repeat the layers twice for a nice hearty sandwich.
- Toasting the buns is totally optional. I butter them, then toast under the broiler for about 2 minutes before assembling the sandwiches. If you like a softer bun, don't toast them first.
- You can use any kind of cheese obviously, whatever your family prefers! We love mozzarella cheese the best, but of course, Swiss, cheddar or Monterey Jack are also great!
- The dijonnaise is also optional. It's simply a mixture of mayonnaise and spicy or dijon mustard. Just adds some extra flavor and we happen to love it.
A quick note about cooking these sandwiches. I typically bake them at home for a super fast 10 minute dinner. However, you can absolutely grill these as well! There a great sandwich for camping. You will just want to assemble the sandwiches, wrap in foil, and grill for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 Large Hamburger Buns
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Pound Sliced Ham
- 8 Slices Cheese, Mozzarella, Swiss, Cheddar, etc
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise, Optional
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard, Optional
- Preheat your oven's broiler to high. Split open the hamburger buns and place on a large baking sheet.
- Coat the buns evenly with the butter. Toast under preheated broiler for 1-2 minutes until golden.
- Switch the oven broiler off and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Layer half of the ham slices evenly on the bottom of each bun. Top with a slice of cheese. Repeat these layers one more time. Place the top buns on the sandwiches.
- Bake the sandwiches for 7-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- OPTIONAL: In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise and dijon mustard and serve with the hot sandwiches.
Just made this tonight. Amazing!
Tami Ripple says
My family loved it!
We have gluten free and low carb (and normal) eaters in our family, so we used our regular breads (normal, GF or Low Carb). I toasted the breads like your buns. We used Black Forest Ham and Swiss singles, added lettuce and tomato. For the saucy mixture, I used a chery dijon mustard with mayo! It was SO good!
Served it with a cheesy veggie bake with bacon.
And then I just HAD to have a little glass of my Cherry Wine, too!
Perfect! Thank you!
Easy Delicious! Thank you!
What do you think about cooking these in a roaster for a crowd? Do you think stacking them in the roaster is ok?
Hi! I haven't personally tried it, but I think it would work fine!
Great ham and cheese rolls!
Kids are going to love these! I know that I love them!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert says
Looks delicious and so easy to make! !
YUM!! My family would love these!
Carrie R says
It has been FOREVER since I have had a hot ham & cheese sandwich! I used to make these all the time. 🙂
Delaney | Melanie Makes says
I love a warm ham sandwich!
Easy, quick and delicious - that's always a winning combo!