Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches are a takeout favorite made at home! Buttery toasted buns are baked with layers of ham and gooey cheese for a fun and easy weeknight dinner!
We don't eat takeout too often around here because we love to cook so much. But, when we do one of my absolute favorites is a hot ham and cheese sandwich! I will take it over a burger any day of the week.
I enjoy making these sandwiches at home even more because I can choose the quality of ham that I get, the kind of cheese everyone likes, toast the buns to perfection, and add a creamy dijonnaise sauce!
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches:
These sandwiches are so easy to make it's one of those that I almost feel silly calling a "recipe" but I hope you all love them as much as my family does, and I'll tell you how I like to perfect them at my house!
- You can use thick or thin ham, whichever you like. I always get the super thin sliced ham straight from my deli. Then, I layer a few pieces of ham, then a piece of cheese. I repeat the layers twice for a nice hearty sandwich.
- Toasting the buns is totally optional. I butter them, then toast under the broiler for about 2 minutes before assembling the sandwiches. If you like a softer bun, don't toast them first.
- You can use any kind of cheese obviously, whatever your family prefers! We love mozzarella cheese the best, but of course, Swiss, cheddar or Monterey Jack are also great!
- The dijonnaise is also optional. It's simply a mixture of mayonnaise and spicy or dijon mustard. Just adds some extra flavor and we happen to love it.
A quick note about cooking these sandwiches. I typically bake them at home for a super fast 10 minute dinner. However, you can absolutely grill these as well! There a great sandwich for camping. You will just want to assemble the sandwiches, wrap in foil, and grill for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 Large Hamburger Buns
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Pound Sliced Ham
- 8 Slices Cheese, Mozzarella, Swiss, Cheddar, etc
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise, Optional
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard, Optional
- Preheat your oven's broiler to high. Split open the hamburger buns and place on a large baking sheet.
- Coat the buns evenly with the butter. Toast under preheated broiler for 1-2 minutes until golden.
- Switch the oven broiler off and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Layer half of the ham slices evenly on the bottom of each bun. Top with a slice of cheese. Repeat these layers one more time. Place the top buns on the sandwiches.
- Bake the sandwiches for 7-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- OPTIONAL: In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise and dijon mustard and serve with the hot sandwiches.