Ham and Cheese Instant Pot Potato Soup is creamy and indulgent! The easiest baked potato style soup made easy in your instant pot full of tender potatoes, ham, and plenty of cheddar cheese!
I’ve found myself with some serious soup cravings lately. It doesn’t seem to matter that it’s way over 100 degrees outside. I want a giant bowl of cheesy, homemade, comfort food!
Thank goodness for the instant pot. I can make my family some soup to enjoy any time of the year without heating up the stove for an hour! This Instant Pot Potato Soup totally hit the spot. We’ve also been enjoying my Instant Pot Chili during this hot weather over grilled hot dogs!
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Soup:
For instant pot potato soup, you start out by simply washing and peeling your potatoes just like you would with any other potato soup recipe. Then, you will cube your potatoes into bite sized pieces, they don’t have to be perfect. You can see the size that mine are cut in the photo below.
To save even more time and make this a true “dump and go” recipe, I don’t even saute any onion or garlic. I like using garlic and onion powders for flavor, and it turns out perfectly!
Next, you will add in your pound of cubed or diced ham. I purchase a pack of diced ham from the grocery store. But, you can absolutely use leftover ham if you have any.
Go ahead and sprinkle in your seasonings, and add your chicken broth. The broth should completely cover the potatoes. This will be anywhere from 4-5 cups depending on the size of your pot.
Add the lid to the pot and seal. Then, set to manual for 8 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure.
After your timer has gone off, you can carefully do a quick release. Then, you will add in your milk and sour cream. Then, you will want to turn the pot to saute. Add in the cornstarch slurry and whisk it in until the soup has thickened up. Next, stir in the cheese and serve!
Ham and Cheese Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 5 Pounds Russet Potatoes Peeled and Cubed
- 1 Pound Package Cubed Ham
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 5-6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- Green Onions and Extra Cheese for Serving Optional
- Add your peeled and cubed potatoes to the bottom of your instant pot.
- Add in the ham, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, and chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and seal.
- Turn the instant pot on Manual for 8 minutes.
- When the timer has gone off, do a quick release and carefully remove the lid.
- Stir the milk and sour cream into the soup.
- In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and water.
- Turn the pot to saute and whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture until the soup has thickened.
- Turn the pot off and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Serve topped with green onions and extra cheese if desired.
Be Sure to Try These Other Instant Pot Favorites!
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken