Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Rice is a creamy chicken and rice recipe made easy! The best chicken and rice full of juicy chicken and cheese!
Chicken And Rice:
Chicken and rice is something that is very nostalgic for me. I always looked forward to a big cheesy casserole pan full of gooey chicken and rice goodness. It was asking a lot as a kid because my mom can't stand rice! What a sweetie she is for still cooking it up for me anyway.
UPDATE: Since everyone LOVED this recipe so much, I made another version, be sure to try my Bacon Ranch Chicken and Rice too and if you are looking for an oven-baked version, we absolutely love this Chicken and Rice!
Basically, my goal here was to simplify one of my fave childhood dinners into a really quick one pot dinner. If you are a regular follower you also know I don't have a problem using canned soups. But, I like using all fresh ingredients whenever possible. It's just as budget-friendly and easy, there's really no reason not to!
Mission accomplished with this dish. Simple ingredients like cream, parmesan, chicken broth, spices, and usual suspects like onion and garlic come together to create a truly heavenly chicken and rice.
How To Make Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Rice:
- You will want to use a large (12 inch) skillet that has a lid for this recipe. If you don't have a skillet like that you can find one that I love down below the printable recipe card (affiliate link) or you can also use a good sized pot or dutch oven with a lid.
- Melting your butter is your first step. After that, go ahead and add the onion and let them cook for 2-3 minutes before adding your garlic. Garlic only takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to cook, and you don't want to add it too soon or it will burn and taste bitter.
- Use long grain rice for this recipe, not minute/instant rice. If you use quick cooking rice, it will cook too quickly and become mushy. Any long grain rice will work!
- Most of the cooking time for this one-pot chicken and rice is completely hands off. You will have about 15-20 minutes for the rice and chicken to simmer. I love to take that time to chop up a quick green salad to have on the side!
Be sure to follow along with us on Facebook where we share the tastiest recipes!
Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1.5 Pounds Chicken Breasts, Cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Large onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced (3 Teaspoons)
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 ½ Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup long grain white rice
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Parsley for serving, Optional
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add the diced chicken to the pan along with the Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes until chicken is golden on all sides.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth and rice to the pan and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 17-20 minutes, until rice is completely tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream and parmesan. Serve immediately topped with parsley if desired.
Family favorite! I make once a week since it’s the only thing everyone can agree on! Definitely a keeper. My kids don’t like to see the diced onion in their food so I use onion powder and it works great. Thanks for the awesome recipe!
A big favorite in my house! I love that is uses basic ingredients I usually have on hand and is simple to make. I admit I didn’t have high hopes when first making it because I thought it would be boring but I was happy to be proven wrong! Definitely recommend.
Delicious, always comes out so good! I don’t always use a whole onion, and I always use a Costco rotisserie chicken just to make it easy on me. Overall such a fan fave in the house and i absolutely love it!
Best chicken and rice I've ever made!
Love this recipe! I was wondering if you could make it ahead. Want to take it to a family get together. Thank you!!
We LOVE this at my house! I've made it several times. I'm wondering if anyone has tried freezing it. I'd like to start doubling it and then freezing a couple portions for easy lunches. But, I don't want to waste any of the deliciousness if freezing won't turn out well.
My family of 5 had the rare opportunity to sit down and eat a meal together last night for the first time in…I don’t even know how long. I chose to try this recipe and so happy that I did. Everyone loved it…and that is rare in my home! Normally there’s 2-3 who are unhappy with the meal for one reason or another, but this one was a winner! My momma hear was so full, sitting around the table with my family and eating and talking and NO COMPLAINING. Thank you for this recipe! Mine came out a little more saucy…not sure why as I filled the recipe precisely…but even so, it was delicious. Thank you thank you thank you!💗
Can this be made into a crockpot recipe?
Love it as is but was wondering if i could make it even easier! 🙂
Tom Peele says
Great recipe i added some red chili pepper flake and squeezed in the fresh lemon juice to bring out the herbs. Excellent
Great recipe! Just wondering if it could be made with risotto rice (arborio)?
I have to Quadruple the recipe for my family! They love it son much! I love garlic so, I do add just a tad bit more. Other than that it’s perfect!
Hi do you have to increase cooking time at all? I want to double this recipe and was just curious. Thanks!
This is my first time EVER leaving a review on a blog but this recipe needs to be shouted from the rooftops. My VERY picky 3 and 4 year olds will chow down on this (and when I say picky, I mean these kids won’t even eat mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese).
I usually make a big batch of smoked chicken early in the week and then repurpose it in various recipes. This was a perfect addition to that rotation. Thank you!
Diane Acosta says
I added some celery to the onion mixture .otherwise, very good.
Oooh maybe even some carrots?
I’ve made this 100 times. So good, my whole family loves it. I really need to start doubling the recipe, they don’t leave me with any left overs !