This Chicken Divan Casserole is so easy to make, and screams “comfort food”! Packed with chicken and broccoli, and topped with a buttery crunchy topping, your family will love it!
Hey! This is Kylee from Kylee Cooks -I’m so excited to have joined the contributor team on The Salty Marshmallow. I can’t wait to share with you all!
Chicken Casserole is one of my family’s favorite dishes, they love the cheese, and I love the protein and greens – so we all win! It’s so very easy to make, even without my suggested shortcuts!
ANY time I pull a casserole dish out of the oven, the smell of it along brings my kids to the table, ready to eat. I consider this a win in the nightly dinnertime battle!
This easy recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated until needed, just add an extra 5-10 minutes to the cooking time to ensure everything cooks perfectly.
You’ll need an 8×8 pan for this recipe, but no special equipment is needed otherwise. I hope you love it as much as my family does!
WHY IS IT CALLED CHICKEN DIVAN?
The original recipe for was named after the restaurant it was created in – the Divan Parisienne Restaurant in New York City.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN DIVAN CASSEROLE
- If you are starting out with precooked chicken, skip that step!
- Begin by dicing up the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces, and cut your fresh broccoli into florets. Florets are just the green top part of the broccoli, cut into small pieces, with the majority of the stalk removed.
- Combine the soup and milk in a bowl.
- Stir together the breadcrumbs and melted butter in another bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil and cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through. Then, add the chicken and broccoli to the casserole dish and pour over the soup/milk mixture
- Top with cheddar cheese, and the bread crumb mixture, and bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with this easy risotto recipe.
HOW DO YOU REHEAT THIS CHICKEN CASSEROLE?
- Reheat individual servings in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until hot and bubbly.
- If you made this ahead, just cook in the oven at 350 degrees F until hot and bubbly – around 30 minutes from refrigerated.
SUBSTITUTIONS for Chicken Divan:
- You can use any kind of condensed soup – I recommend Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery or just plain Cheddar Soup. You can make your own Cream of Chicken Soup too!
- Want to take a shortcut or 2? Use precooked rotisserie chicken or buy fully cooked chicken from the grocery store. Buy broccoli that is already cut into florets, or use frozen broccoli.
Chicken Divan Casserole
- 4 cups broccoli uncooked
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10.75 oz can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 Tbs butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Dice the chicken. Combine the soup and milk in a medium bowl, and the breadcrumbs and butter in a small bowl.
COOK THE CHICKEN
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to an 8x8 baking dish, and pour the soup/milk mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and pour over the breadcrumbs/butter mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. with this easy risotto recipe.