Chicken Divan is so easy to make and a true comfort food classic! Packed with chicken and broccoli, and topped with a buttery crunchy topping, your family will love it!
This original recipe for was named after the restaurant it was created in – the Divan Parisienne Restaurant in New York City, for those that may have been wondering! Chicken Casserole is one of my family’s favorite dishes. They love the cheese, and I love the protein and greens – so we all win! It's so very easy to make, even without my suggested shortcuts! Any time I pull a casserole dish out of the oven, the smell of it alone brings my kids to the table, ready to eat. I consider this a win in the nightly dinnertime battle! This easy recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated until needed, just add an extra 5-10 minutes to the cooking time to ensure everything cooks perfectly. You’ll need an 8x8 pan for this recipe, but no special equipment is needed otherwise. I hope you love it as much as my family does! If you're looking for other great chicken recipes, try this Lemon Chicken or this One Pot Buffalo Chicken Tortellini!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN DIVAN CASSEROLE
- If you are starting out with precooked chicken, skip that step!
- Begin by dicing up the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces, and cut your fresh broccoli into florets. Florets are just the green top part of the broccoli, cut into small pieces, with the majority of the stalk removed.
- Combine the soup and milk in a bowl.
- Stir together the breadcrumbs and melted butter in another bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil and cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through. Then, add the chicken and broccoli to the casserole dish and pour over the soup/milk mixture
- Top with cheddar cheese, and the bread crumb mixture, and bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with this easy risotto recipe, a side of white or brown rice, or even some Roasted Green Beans!
Recipe Notes and Tips!
- Reheat individual servings in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until hot and bubbly.
- If you made this ahead, just cook in the oven at 350 degrees F until hot and bubbly – around 30 minutes from refrigerated.
- You can use any kind of condensed soup – I recommend Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery or just plain Cheddar Soup. You can make your own Cream of Chicken Soup too!
- Want to take a shortcut or 2? Use precooked rotisserie chicken or buy fully cooked chicken from the grocery store. Buy broccoli that is already cut into florets, or use frozen broccoli.
Chicken Divan Casserole
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 10.75 Ounce Can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ Cup Milk
- 4 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ Cup Dry Bread Crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons Salted or Unsalted Butter, Melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Dice the chicken into bite sized (about 1-1 ½ inch pieces. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the soup and milk until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs and melted butter just until combined.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the chicken, flipping once or twice, until golden brown on all sides.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to an 8x8 baking dish, and pour the soup/milk mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and pour over the breadcrumbs/butter mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the casserole to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
How much olive oil should you use in the skillet?
This was so good, even my broccoli hating husband enjoyed it! Used cream of mushroom soup because that's what I had on hand. Will definitely be adding this to our dinner rotation. Thank you for sharing.
Teena McElroy says
We always add a little lemon juice and curry.
Jessica Formicola says
This is the comfort food I've been craving! I can't wait to make this chicken casserole for dinner soon!
This looks divine! And easy to make, too! Will give this a go this weekend!
Bintu | Budget Delicious says
Such tasty comfort food - I especially love the look of that topping!
Claudia Lamascolo says
This sounds so delicious I actually was just scouring the net for new chicken recipes and this perfect!
This is a mouthwatering recipe. So delicious. I love the cheesy combination of chicken and broccoli. Thank you for sharing.
Linda Z says
Delicious and easy, the family loved it and so did I. Will be adding it to my go to list for easy dinner ideas.
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
Everyone at my house loved it! Tasted SO good!
My hubby loves this! I'd never heard of a Divan Casserole before, but hubs things the buttery crunchy topping is the best. Thanks!