Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole is the easiest way to make everyones favorite Thanksgiving side dish! Make using fresh or canned green beans!
I originally posted this recipe back in November 2016, the recipe stays the same, we’ve added some updated instructions and new photos! It’s definitely safe to say that green bean casserole is my favorite side dish at Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is more of a classic, using canned green beans and soup. If you’re here looking for a homemade version, be sure to try our baked Green Bean Casserole from scratch!
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole:
This recipe works out perfectly with fresh, or canned green beans and I’ve given directions for both in the recipe card. You can also use frozen if you want, but, you’ll have best results if you thaw them first. Throwing them in frozen seems to make the casserole watery. What I love so much about this is that I can mix everything up right in the slow cooker, put on the lid, and then just top with extra french fried onions about 30 minutes before serving.
- Plan ahead! This recipe takes 2 hours on low in the crockpot, plus another 30 minutes after you top with the french onions.
- You can make this in advance. Simply mix everything together in a large mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- If you absolutely hate cream of mushroom soup, then cream of chicken or even cheddar cheese soup work great here as well.
- The cheese is optional! We love the cheddar and parmesan, but you can leave them out if that’s your preference, or sub in your favorite kind of cheese.
Enjoy! Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook to see all of the yummy recipes and videos we share every day!
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
- 6 Quart or larger slow cooker
- 4 (14.5 Ounce) Cans of Green Beans, Drained
- 2 (10.5 Ounce) Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 6 Ounce Can French Fried Onions
- In your crockpot combine the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, and seasonings, and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the green beans, cheddar, parmesan, and half of the french fried onions. Place the lid on your crockpot and cook on low for 2 hours.
- After two hours stir the casserole well and add the remaining french fried onions to the top. Replace the lid and continue cooking for 30 minutes, up to one more hour.