Best Easy Chili Recipe is my family’s absolute favorite, and the only quick and easy chili recipe you will ever need! Learn how to make hearty, comforting chili in your crockpot or on your stovetop!
Chili is a classic comfort food staple as soon as the weather turns cold. It is one of our favorite meals in my house, we have it pretty much weekly all fall and winter long! After years of working to perfect my chili recipe, I can tell you that the beans you use are what makes all the difference in a really flavorful chili! Let’s chat about the specific beans that I use in my chili, as well as how to cook this in your crockpot or right on your stove top! Have an Instant Pot? Be sure to try out my Instant Pot Chili Recipe too!!
What Goes into Best Easy Chili Recipe?
- BEANS! The beans are the most important part of my chili. I use a combination of chili beans along with Ranch Style Beans. If you haven’t heard of the ranch style beans, there is a picture below that shows the label for you to see. Both of these types of beans can be found in your local grocery store. Brand of chili beans does not matter, and you can get them from mild to hot and customize your chili to your preference. There is no sense in using boring old kidney beans here, not a fan, no flavor!
- Ground beef is also the classic meat used in chili. I use extra lean because that’s what we prefer. You can use any type of ground beef you wish or even cooked chunks of beef stew meat!
- The seasonings are also super important! I use plenty of chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, paprika, and a dash of hot sauce. As far as the hot sauce goes you can use any brand like Frank’s, Tobasco, Cholula…etc.
- Two kinds of onion is best! I use 1/2 of a white onion, and 1/2 of a red onion. You can use all white or all red if you prefer. But, the flavor is perfect using both.
- Tomato sauce also goes into this easy chili recipe. Only one 15 ounce can is needed. You will also have the seasoned liquid from your ranch style and chili beans.
- NOTE: If you can’t find ranch style beans, I recommend using the chili beans as well as drained and rinsed black beans.
How to Make Chili in the Crockpot:
- Start by browning your ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it is no longer pink. Turn off your stove, drain the grease from the meat, and add the beef directly to your slow cooker.
- Next, add all of the seasonings, hot sauce, all 5 cans of undrained beans, and the tomato sauce.
- Give it a good stir to mix everything together. Place the lid on your slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
How to Make Chili on the Stove Top:
- You will start by browning your ground beef along with the onions and seasonings in a large dutch oven or soup pot until no longer pink. Drain any grease from the pan.
- Return the beef to the pan and add in all of the undrained beans and the tomato sauce.
- Stir the chili well to combine.
- Place a lid on your soup pot, turn the heat to low. Allow the chili to simmer for at least 30 minutes and up to one hour.
- Watch your heat as the chili simmers. If your chili is bubbling too much, stir and turn the heat down to low.
Best Easy Chili Recipe
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 White Onion Diced
- 1/2 Red Onion Diced
- 2 15 Ounce Cans Ranch Style Beans Undrained
- 3 15 Ounce Cans Chili Beans Undrained
- 1 15 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Drain grease from beef if necessary and add to the bottom of a 6-quart or larger crockpot.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the crockpot with the meat and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS:
- Cook the ground beef along with the onion and seasonings in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Drain any grease from beef and return the meat to the pot.
- Add all of the undrained beans and tomato sauce to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.