Homemade Apple Cinnamon Muffins are made with fresh apples and a crumble topping. Kids and adults will love these muffins for breakfast, brunch or snack!
Ashley from Spoonful of Flavor here to bring you these delectable Apple Cinnamon Muffins. Combine fresh chopped apples, cinnamon and a few additional ingredients to make these easy muffins. Top with a tasty crumble topping and enjoy for breakfast or snack. Start your day with these muffins and a glass of Homemade Apple Cider to enjoy crisp apple flavor all year long!
How to make apple cinnamon muffins
Apple cinnamon muffins come together easily. The muffins have actual chunks of apples in them and a crumble topping.
- First, prepare the crumble topping by combining brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter and flour in a bowl. You want to combine until the mixture is crumbly with some large chunks remaining.
- Next, combine all of the dry ingredients except for the sugars in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the sugars and all of the wet ingredients except for the milk. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix. If you see a few streaks of flour in the batter, that’s okay!
- Fold in the peeled and chopped apples. Spoon into muffin tins lined with paper lines, sprinkle with the crumble topping and bake.
What apples are best for muffins?
We prefer to use crisp apples for baking. Sweet-tart apples like Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Pink Lady and Gala are the best for these muffins. These apples maintain consistency and flavor while baking. However, you can substitute any of these varieties with your favorite apple, if desired.
What to make with lots of apples?
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
For the crumble topping:
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12 count muffin tin or line with paper liners; set aside.
To make the topping:
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir in flour using a rubber spatula until mixture is crumbly.
To make the muffins:
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together sugars and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking each. Whisk in the applesauce and vanilla until well combined. Whisk flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined, then gently fold in the apple chunks.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full. Sprinkle some crumble topping on top of each muffin, leaving some big chunks.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks. Enjoy!
- We prefer to use Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Pink Lady or another crisp apple for these muffins.
- Store in a container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.