Fresh Strawberry Crisp is the perfect summer dessert and one of our favorite strawberry recipes! This strawberry dessert is fast to make and has an amazing lemon crumble topping!
Strawberry Crisp is the essential summer dessert in my book! This is the best way to use up lots of strawberries when they’re in season! I do also happen to love our Strawberry Spinach Salad for that purpose, but we’ll always take a bowl of warm delicious desert too! If you’ve never had strawberry crisp, you should know that it’s just a simple filling of quartered strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, a squeeze of lemon, and vanilla. Then, the most heavenly lemon/oatmeal cookie topping that sends it over the top! The topping is a fast and easy mix of sugars, flour, oats, lemon juice and zest, and melted butter. It only takes about 15 minutes to put this together, and then 40 minutes in the oven. The topping is what makes this a “crisp” where a cobbler has more of a biscuit sort of topping. I am a crisp girl myself, and we make this Easy Cherry Crisp all the time too!
A Few Recipe Tips and Notes:
- You will need 5 cups of quartered strawberries for this recipe. For me, this came out to about 2 pounds of strawberries. This could come out to a little more or less for you, depending on the size of your berries.
- You don’t have to use a cast iron skillet for this recipe! Any 9×9 or 8×8 inch pie or baking dish will work fine. You can also double or even triple this recipe and use a larger 9×13 inch dish!
- I always use fresh berries in this recipe, but you can use frozen if desired. If using frozen, you will want to thaw them slightly first. They don’t need to be completely soft, but shouldn’t be rock hard/frozen still either.
- The lemon in this recipe is optional, but I’d recommend it for best flavor! Lemon and strawberries pair perfectly together and give this crisp the best combo of tart/sweet. If you aren’t a fan of tart, just leave the lemon out all together.
- If you really love lemon, you can also add in 1 teaspoon of lemon extract if you happen to have some.
- Other extracts that are great here are vanilla (what I always use), or even coconut, or almond would be delicious!
Fresh Strawberry Crisp
FOR THE FILLING:
FOR THE FILLING:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 or 8x8 inch baking dish, or cast iron skillet and set aside.
- Add the quartered strawberries to a large bowl then add in the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and pour into prepared baking dish.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- In a medium bowl use a fork to stir together the oats, flour, both sugars, lemon juice, lemon zest and melted butter until well combined and crumbly.
- Evenly sprinkle the mixture over the strawberry filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.