One Pot Buffalo Chicken Tortellini is a simple 20 minute weeknight dinner! You'll love the chicken tortellini with buffalo sauce, ranch, and melty cheese!
YOU GUYS. An oldie, but a goo0die. Did you know that I originally posted this recipe on my blog on March 26, 2017?! That was a very short time after I first started blogging. This recipe is something I consider one of my "babies" because it is so original and fun! It because a reader fave, but, since we've had so many new readers pop up over the last couple of years, I wanted to give this post a nice facelift with some new pictures, step by step directions, and a new video too! We love all things buffalo around here, especially this Buffalo Chicken Dip, if you do too, congrats, you've come to the right place!
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Tortellini:
- This is a one pot meal, and you will want to start by grabbing a large 10-12 inch pot or pan. Melt your butter over medium heat, then stir in your garlic and let it cook for just about 1 minute.
- Now, whisk in your flour. Keep whisking constantly for just 2 minutes or so, allowing the flour to cook a little bit. This way your sauce won't taste like raw flour!
- Next, whisk in your chicken broth gradually while whisking constantly. Let the broth start to bubble for just 1-2 minutes. It will start to thicken slightly, but it shouldn't be super thick like gravy.
- Add your tortellini to the pan and stir. You don't want to boil it rapidly. Boil it gently (simmer) for about 4 minutes. Most of the liquid will be gone and the tortellini will be soft. It's best to stir often during this step!
- Turn off your burner and stir in your ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, chicken, and half of your cheese. Note that we like a combo of cheddar and mozzarella here, but you can use your favorite cheese!
- After mixing everything up well, spread the remaining cheese evenly over the top of the pan. At this point you can cover the pan with a lid to let the cheese melt, or pop in the oven (if your pot/pan is oven proof) and broil for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts.
Tips for Making Buffalo Tortellini:
- I've found that I like making this dish best in a large 10 inch skillet (as in the photos) that is only about 2-3 inches deep. You can use a deep pot if preferred or if that's what you have.
- When cooking the tortellini, stir often during the 4 minutes, to ensure that the tortellini all gets cooked thoroughly.
- Keep your life EASY. You can use a store bought rotisserie chicken if you'd like, otherwise we love to use my Crockpot Shredded Chicken as well as this super easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken.
- Let's talk cheese, they aren't all created equal! If you only have pre-shredded bagged cheese, it will do in a pinch. Always keep in mind though that freshly shredded cheese will melt down much better, and that's what I recommend you use.
One Pot Buffalo Chicken Tortellini
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic to the melted butter, and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually pour the chicken broth into the pot while whisking constantly. Allow the broth to cook for about 2 minutes, until just slightly thickened.
- Add the tortellini to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring often to ensure all of the tortellini is cooked through.
- Add the shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and 1 cup of the cheese to the pot and stir well. Top the tortellini mixture with the remaining cup of cheese, cover the pot with a lid for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted.