Easy Cherry Crisp is a fun and simple dessert that uses canned pie filling! The quick homemade topping for this crisp is flavorful and comforting!
Just like my homemade Apple Crisp, this recipe is a staple! It’s so perfect served warm out of the oven with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. I always have everything on hand to make this cherry crisp, including a couple of cans of pie filling. It’s a quick and easy dessert that’s great for last-minute company, or if you’re just craving something sweet! Feel free to use your favorite pie filling for this recipe, while cherry is my fave, it’s great with apple or blueberry as well.
How Do You Make A Cherry Crisp?
The steps to this recipe are incredibly simple. You can start by greasing a large (10-12 inch) cast iron skillet like I used, or use a 9×9 inch square baking dish.
- Preheat your oven, then pour both cans of pie filling into your prepared pan.
- Add your butter to a large bowl and microwave just until melted.
- Add all of your remaining dry ingredients to the bowl, then use a fork to combine until everything is well coated.
Using the melted butter instead of cold butter, as well as instant oats is what keeps this recipe nice and quick. As you can see in the picture below, the crisp topping will look like coarse crumbs once it’s well mixed. Next, simply sprinkle the crumble evenly over the pie filling and bake until hot and bubbly!
Can You Freeze Cherry Crisp?
Yes, you can. Bake as directed in the recipe card below (you will want to use a 9×9 inch pan not a skillet if you are going to freeze) then allow the crisp to cool completely. Once cool, cover with a double layer of aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months. Allow the crisp to thaw completely in the refrigerator (about 8-10 hours) and then bake as directed.
Easy Cherry Crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet or 9x9 inch baking dish with butter.
- Open both cans of pie filling and pour into the prepared pan, spreading out evenly.
- In a large bowl stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and butter.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden.