Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Rice is a creamy chicken and rice recipe made easy! The best chicken and rice full of juicy chicken and cheese!
Chicken And Rice:
Chicken and rice is something that is very nostalgic for me. I always looked forward to a big cheesy casserole pan full of gooey chicken and rice goodness. It was asking a lot as a kid because my mom can't stand rice! What a sweetie she is for still cooking it up for me anyway.
UPDATE: Since everyone LOVED this recipe so much, I made another version, be sure to try my Bacon Ranch Chicken and Rice too and if you are looking for an oven-baked version, we absolutely love this Chicken and Rice!
Basically, my goal here was to simplify one of my fave childhood dinners into a really quick one pot dinner. If you are a regular follower you also know I don't have a problem using canned soups. But, I like using all fresh ingredients whenever possible. It's just as budget-friendly and easy, there's really no reason not to!
Mission accomplished with this dish. Simple ingredients like cream, parmesan, chicken broth, spices, and usual suspects like onion and garlic come together to create a truly heavenly chicken and rice.
How To Make Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Rice:
- You will want to use a large (12 inch) skillet that has a lid for this recipe. If you don't have a skillet like that you can find one that I love down below the printable recipe card (affiliate link) or you can also use a good sized pot or dutch oven with a lid.
- Melting your butter is your first step. After that, go ahead and add the onion and let them cook for 2-3 minutes before adding your garlic. Garlic only takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to cook, and you don't want to add it too soon or it will burn and taste bitter.
- Use long grain rice for this recipe, not minute/instant rice. If you use quick cooking rice, it will cook too quickly and become mushy. Any long grain rice will work!
- Most of the cooking time for this one-pot chicken and rice is completely hands off. You will have about 15-20 minutes for the rice and chicken to simmer. I love to take that time to chop up a quick green salad to have on the side!
Be sure to follow along with us on Facebook where we share the tastiest recipes!
Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1.5 Pounds Chicken Breasts, Cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Large onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced (3 Teaspoons)
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 ½ Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup long grain white rice
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Parsley for serving, Optional
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add the diced chicken to the pan along with the Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes until chicken is golden on all sides.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth and rice to the pan and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 17-20 minutes, until rice is completely tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream and parmesan. Serve immediately topped with parsley if desired.
I make this for my wife to take to work for lunch.
It’s absolutely perfect every time (I just add some pees for color and texture and a lil longer on the chicken cooking time.
Patricia Mapley says
I made half of this recipe as there are just the 2 of us. Absolutely delicious. We enjoyed every bite and even have some left over. I will enjoy that tomorrow.
Absolutely delicious! We make this almost weekly.
Made this for dinner and the whole family loved it! It was very flavorful and easy. I was hoping for leftovers, but no such luck! Next time will have to be a double recipe for my three teenage boys.
I just made this for lunch today and think it's LOVELY! So easy, made with simple ingredients I already had in the pantry--and VERY generous on the chicken, I think... Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
I don’t always write reviews but this was just simply amazing and I had to let you know it! I was craving something with chicken and rice this was perfect and easy. I’m definitely going to keep this in rotation it was that good and satisfying.
Can you cook this in a crockpot?
Emily Williams says
Didn't this used to be an instant pot recipe? I remember I made it once and loved it. It's summer and I don't have ac so I try to cook stove top as little as possible.
There is an instant pot version! You can find it here https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-chicken-and-rice/
Outrageous! I was craving something just like this and literally googled “creamy chicken with rice”. So happy to have found your website and recipe.
I have already made it twice and have shared with several friends and relatives.
Excited to try more of your recipes 😊
Ashleigh Kitrell says
This is my absolute FAVORITE recipe & favorite meal! It is so simple, with easy, healthful ingredients. It is my go to, especially on a rainy day.
Ashleigh Kitrell says
I also add in about a half cup of sliced carrots. 🙂
This is one of our family’s favorites. Everyone will eat it and keeps requesting it.
Susan Ryan says
The BEST Chicken and Rice I have ever had, hands down! I found this recipe after deciding to revamp our redundant and bland dinner menu. My husband mentioned chicken and rice, but I knew I wanted to find a recipe that gives the "more-ish" taste when everyone wants more. THIS is that recipe!!! Picking our weekly dinner menu has become a family thing. As a family of 5, each one of us picks a recipe from The Salty Marshmallow for the week and have yet to find one we won't make again!
Susan Percy says
I didn’t feel like having to cook a vegetable or make a salad so I sautéed some mushrooms with the onions and tossed in some raw broccoli that I had cut into little florets and some leftover spinach. A delicious one pot meal. Thanks do much for a great recipe.
A hit with both of my kids, even the one who prefers all their food items separated on the plate. Easy to make, no complicated ingredients.
A family favourite. I throw in a cup of frozen peas 10 mins before the rice is done.
This was great hubby loved it.. I'm on the Keto diet so I tasted the chicken it tasted good will defiantly be making this again I had just cooked chicken in the crock pot and it was easy just to add it to this dish it was quick and filling.
Thanks for sharing this.
Love & Light from Oregon
Valerie Thomas says
Easy andDelicious. Family couldn't get enough. I will definitely make this one again.
A hit for the whole family!
This was truly outstanding! Creamy, comforting, and very flavorful. Served with steamed, buttered green beans. This was a hit with my husband, who finished the pan. Thank you!
Hi! Wondering if I can use rotisserie chicken instead if raw